[0] => 
    [1] =>
Frequently Asked Questions, Britain + UK Vacation Packages - England, Scotland and Wales Travel Tours 2011

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Planning your Trip
  2. Getting a Quote
  3. Renting a Car
  4. Making a Booking
  5. Before I Travel
  6. During Travel

Planning my Trip...

When is best to travel to the UK?
There is no real answer to this question as people visit our beautiful country all year round... British summer time (Jun, Jul and Aug) is most popular,offers our warmest weather and more daylight hours for sightseeing. However springtime (Mar, Apr and May) offers mild temperatures and less crowding at attractions whilst our landscapes and countryside are often most colourful in the Autumn (Sept, Oct and Nov). Our larger towns and cities are vibrant throughout the year and attract visitors even in the colder winter months.

What is the weather like in Britain?
Britain's weather is dominated by the Atlantic Ocean, as such we have far less temperature variations across the season than other countries this far north of the equator. Temperatures vary from an average of 8C/46F in the winter to 24C/75F in the summer. Whatever the season there is always the chance of a rain shower so don't forget to pack your umbrella. For more information on British Weather click here...

When is it cheapest to travel?
Whilst there is not a great seasonal difference in prices, it can sometimes be cheaper to travel outside of the busy summer months. If you're traveling on a budget it is certainly advisable to avoid Edinburgh in August as prices can more than double here in this period due to the international popularity of the Edinburgh Tattoo and Fringe Festival.

What currency do you use and what is the current exchange rate?
Throughout England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland we use Pounds Sterling (GBP £). Notes are different colours and sizes, printed by the Bank of England, and in Scotland, printed by Bank of Scotland, Royal Bank of Scotland and the Clydesdale Bank, and separately in Northern Ireland. For latest exchange rates for British Pounds please check a currency site such as or similar.

I'm going to Scotland, how do I avoid the midges and see the heather?
Midges (or tiny mosquitos) can be annoying in the Highlands of Scotland at times. They are more predominant in August and when it is more humid and no breeze, especially near still water and in the early mornings and evenings. When traveling to Scotland in the summer months you should always bring some insect repellent. The best time to see the heather is the summer months from May through to September.

What size are the beds in the UK compared with the USA?
Most British hotels have standard double beds which are 54 inches by 75 inches. This can be smaller than bed sizes that people are used to in the US and Canada. You may prefer to choose a twin room with two singles beds which can generally be pushed together, or ask about larger rooms with Queen or King size beds (which might still be a bit smaller than the equivalent in North America).

How do I trace my family history?
There are a number of online resources to help with genealogy in the UK and find information on your family tree and ancestors. The following links are some good places to start:

Getting a quote...

Can I custom build my holiday or do I have to follow your itineraries?
Our Britain Experts are here to help you plan the holiday that is right for you. If you can't find exactly what you're looking for on our website, just let us know and we'll get to work designing a trip that's specifically tailored to your interests, schedule, and budget. Enquire here .

Do myguideBritain book flights?
Yes, we can search our database for flights to fit your specific dates of travel and preferred airports. For more information please see our flights information page .

Are there reduced costings for children?
Children and young teenagers will generally receive reduced rates or free places at most accommodations when sharing with two adults. Reduced child tickets are also generally available for tours and attractions. Different suppliers specify different age limits for their child rates so please check with your vacation specialist if your son/daughter qualifies for child prices.

Are there senior discounts?
Accommodations, vehicle rental companies and rail service providers do not usually provide senior discounts. Reductions for seniors may available for some tours and attraction tickets, please check specifics with your vacation specialist. In the UK a senior is generally considered to be someone over 65 years of age.

How much does your service cost?
Our service costs nothing to you, our guests. The quote you see is all that you pay. We contract all of our suppliers and, using our buying power, can negotiate excellent discounted rates from which you can benefit.

Renting a car...

Do you drive on the right hand-side of the road?
No we drive on the left hand-side here in Britain but the vast majority of our guests pick this up very quickly and have no problem driving on the left. An automatic shift/transmission helps the adjustment.

Are there age restrictions on your car rental?
Drivers of our rental vehicles must be at least 21 years of age. Supplements may apply for drivers under the age of 25 years. There is no upper age limit for renting a vehicle with us. Click here for full car rental information and car rental terms and conditions .

Does my car rental include all insurance?
Yes all mandatory insurances are included in any prices we quote. There is however a deductible/excess payable on any damage. Additional deductible waiver insurance can be purchased upon collection of the vehicle.

Can I add another driver to my car rental?
Yes, additional drivers in possession of a valid licence can be added to a rental booking upon collection of the vehicle.

Do I need an international drivers licence to drive in the UK?
No. Citizens from the USA, Canada, South Africa, Australia and from within the EU just require their national drivers license to rent a vehicle in the UK. Usual conditions apply, such as you need to have held your full licence for at least a year.

Making a booking...

You have created my dream itinerary, how do I book?
You simply need to submit our booking confirmation form and then call us toll-free (1-877-205-5922 from the US or 0800 680 0722 from the UK) with your credit card or UK debit card details. Once all aspects of your tour are booked we will charge the deposit and your holiday is confirmed.

What are my payment options?
We accept payments by most major credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express) and debit cards (Maestro/Switch and Visa debit). If you have a UK bank or building society account, payment can be made by cheque or by bank transfer, or by international bank transfer from overseas.  Discover cards are not widely used in the UK.

Before I travel...

Is it best to change money before travel?
Travelers cheques are not widely accepted in the UK so we recommend changing some money in to pounds sterling before you travel. Don't worry if you do not have enough British currency to last throughout your holiday, most restaurants and shops accept major credit cards and your ATM cards may be valid for use in British cash machines (check with your card provider before leaving home).  Please note, Discover cards are not used in the UK.

Do I need travel insurance?
Yes, we strongly recommend that you take out travel/trip insurance to cover you for unexpected occurrences. For our specifically designed and recommended policy please see our travel insurance information.

Can I use my US cell phone in the UK?
If your cell-phone is a tri-band phone then it will work in Britain but you may pay international tariffs, you should check with your phone provider before departing the US. Whilst you can't rent cell-phones in the UK you can buy a Pay-As-You-Go phone or SIM card or chip. This is low-cost, available on most high-streets, and offers you the chance to preload the SIM with credit. With a UK number you will have the peace of mind of always being contactable by friends and family back home.

I have received my travel documents but where are my flight tickets?
When booking flights we almost always book e-tickets. You should have a print-out of your schedule and a PNR code (code normally of letters and numbers). You just need this code and your passports to check in for your flight, no physical tickets are necessary. With e-tickets your flight reservation details and schedule (with up-to-date amendments) can be viewed online at any time.

During travel...

I'm traveling and have a question, what do I do?
Call us! In your documents package we provide you with a toll-free number for use in the UK. You can reach the team here in Britain from Monday to Friday, 9am until 5pm UK time (if calling later your call will be routed to our team in Boston, MA, who are also open some Saturdays, usually contactable in the afternoons UK time). E-mails are usually monitored over the weekends too.


myguideBritain, Part of the myguideIreland Group of Vacation Destination Specialists

13 Main Street, Skibbereen, Co Cork, Ireland

© 2012